I was lucky enough to first try spaghetti squash while working with a guy named Dr. Serrano (he has done a lot in the weight loss industry). I never actually heard of spaghetti squash up until that point and it is amazing that many others have not discovered this gem of a vegetable. It looks just like a big squash on the outside and inside. But when you cook it, something magical happens… It softens up on the inside and when you run a fork through it, strands of fibrous spaghetti-like vegetable appears! The best part is that when cooked JUST right, it tastes like spaghetti!
This simple recipe (hence the name) maximizes flavor and efficiency. The ingredients are few, but don’t be fooled! You will make this meal again and again because it’s yummy, easy, and LEAN.
Calories (per serving): 250 Protein: 29 g Total Carbs: 15 g (11 g net) Fiber: 4 g Fat: 10 g
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 8 oz pure tomato sauce
- 1 lb lean (93% or higher) ground beef
- 4 oz lean ground turkey sausage
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut spaghetti squash in half length-wise (this can be tough sometimes).
- Remove seeds from both halves and place in baking dish (cut side down). Bake for 60 min.
- Brown beef and turkey sausage and add tomato sauce.
- Season beef, turkey sausage, and tomato sauce mixture with Italian seasoning to taste.
- When spaghetti squash is done baking, remove from oven.
- Use a fork to run through the squash to make the spaghetti.
- Top spaghetti with meat sauce
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top (optional) and serve!