We decided to shake things up and buy an eggplant. The problem was that we didn’t know what to make with it though! That’s when I googled eggplant dishes and found the idea for this delicious Moroccan meal. Filled with tons of flavor and satiating fiber, one bowl is all you need to be satisfied! You can decrease the carbs and fat by adjusting the squash and olive oil respectively.
Calories (per serving): 458 Protein: 29 g Total Carbs: 33 g (23 g net) Fiber: 10 g Fat: 25 g
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 large eggplant
- 4-6 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups yellow onion
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (go for no sugar added)
- 1 can chick peas, drained
- 1 cup water
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Peel and halve squash, scoop out seeds, and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Trim eggplant and cut into 1 ½-inch chunks.
- Place eggplant and squash in 13” x 9” glass baking dish. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon cumin, and toss to coat. Spread eggplant and squash out in single layer and bake, approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic, Cook until soft, approximately 10 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, and 1 teaspoon black pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, water and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Arrange chicken in single layer in pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer approximately 15 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover, and simmer, approximately 20 minutes longer.
- Buy more toilet paper
Vegetarian variation- Omit the chicken thighs and increase amount of squash, eggplant, chickpeas, and tomatoes
Hard workout or carb loading- Try adding a cup of quinoa into the mixture when there is approximately 15 minutes of cook time left.